- This event has passed.
Teens at Whisk – World Traveler, 5-Days
This session is designed for students ages 13 and up!
In this week long, hands-on cooking series, we will discuss, cook and taste regional foods from famous cities around the globe. We’ll learn why pizza is traditional in Rome (but not in Tokyo) and why a toasted cheese sandwich sounds so much better in French. Throughout the week, Chef Barbara Sowatsky will explore the different ingredients and flavor profiles that make each cuisine distinct, while creating several famous recipes from the “City of the Day”. Each day you will practice knife skills and become more familiar with everyday kitchen equipment. In this engaging, hands-on class you will make and eat some of the worlds best dishes, while learning a little bit about cuisines around the world. Pack your food passport and experience a different destination city daily.
MONDAY, July 6th TO FRIDAY, July 10th
CLASS RUNS FROM 2:00 PM TO 4:00 PM
We’ll start the week with a trip to Italy, making our own pasta dough, pizza dough and tomato sauce from scratch. Finally we will make our own dressing and croutons to serve a perfect classic Caesar salad
• Three Cheese Ravioli with Amatriciana Sauce • Margherita Pizza and a Traditional Caesar Salad
Next stop is Japan where we will learn to make perfect sushi rice, how to fill and shape gyoza and cook udon noodles. We’ll learn about wasabi, miso, nori and the etiquette of eating with chopsticks.
• Shrimp Gyoza with Ginger Dipping Sauce • Vegetable and California Rolls • Grilled Miso Chicken with Stir Fried Udon Noodles.
Midweek we’ll head to the Mexican coast for beach style tacos, great salsas and a famous cinnamon spiced smoothie. We’ll sample Cotija cheese, and learn about fresh and dried chilies and crema.
• Pan-fried Fish Tacos • Grilled Steak Tacos • Pico de Gallo • Guacamole and Horchata.
We head back to the Far East for a culinary trip to Thailand to make its famous stir fried noodle dish and learn about cooking rice perfectly, using lime leaves, curry, galangal and tropical fruits.
• Shrimp and Tofu Pad Thai • Yellow Curried Chicken • Spicy Cucumber Salad • Sticky Coconut Rice with Mango
On our trip to France we’ll enjoy bistro favorites like a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and make our own crêpes and salad dressing. Finally, we will celebrate with a magnificent hot baked soufflé.
• Croque Monsieur, Green salad with Dijon mustard vinaigrette • Crêpes with Cream and Fresh Berries and • Chocolate Soufflé
- No prior cooking experience is required, just an interest to learn.
- For safety reasons, please tie long hair back and wear closed toed shoes.
- Allergies or dietary restrictions may be accommodated – just let us know upon registration.